WASHINGTON - A massive tornado ripped through parts of Oklahoma city and its suburbs in the United States killing at least 24 people, including nine children, besides leaving scores homeless. As winds at over 320 kilometers per hour (kmph) flattened homes and businesses and severely damaged a hospital and two elementary school, the death toll was earlier said to be more than 90 but it was ...
WASHINGTON - US President Barack Obama praised the reforms of Myanmar leader Thein Sein but urged him to end violence against Muslims. Sein is the country's first president to visit the White House in almost half a century. Speaking from the US capital Monday Obama said he recognized Sein's work to guide Myanmar down "a long and sometimes difficult, but ultimately correct, path to ...
KABUL, Afghanistan - At least six Afghan policemen guarding a strategically important dam were killed in a roadside bombing Tuesday in the war-torn country's western province of Herat, officials said. They said that suspected Taliban insurgents triggered the explosion when a police patrol vehicle heading to Herat city was travelling in the Chashti Shareef district of the province. "There ...
GUATEMALA CITY - The constitutional court of Guatemala has ordered that the genocide trial of former dictator Efrain Rios Montt should be taken back to the middle of proceedings, thus overturning his conviction and sentencing to 80 years in prison. The ruling on Monday doesn't annul the entire trial of the case but the top court has ordered that whatever happened after April 19 should be ...
PYONGYANG - A Chinese boat and 16 fishermen held by armed North Koreans for more than two weeks have been released, easing the latest tension in relations between the neighbouring allies. Owner Yu Xuejun, who was not on board the boat when it was seized on 5 May, wrote on his microblog that his captain called him at 3.50am to say the crew and boat were set free and that they were on their way ...
Winds: From the SW at 3.0 MPH Gusting to 6.0 MPH
Kung Fu Panda 2 [Blu-Ray]
In the inevitable, but mostly enjoyable sequel Kung Fu Panda 2, Jack Black reprises his role as Po, a roly-roly panda-turned-Dragon Warrior, and there is probably no actor working today who is better at conveying boundless enthusiasm and awe. His voice has the same crackling ... ...
Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
Chinese national men's volleyball team defeated Kazakhstan 3-0 at the China International Men's Volleyball Tournament here. China beat Kazakhstan 25-20, 25-23, 25-16 with little difficulty Tuesday, reports Xinhua. "My team consists of young players who didn't completely obey my order, so I'm very angry," said Gilyazutdinov Rafael, the assistant coach of Kazakhstan. "Although we won the game, ...
China would firmly consolidate and develop ties with Pakistan "no matter how the international and regional situation changes", said Chinese Premier Li Keqiang who arrived here Wednesday on an official visit to Pakistan. Li said that as he began his visit, he brought with him the Chinese people's friendship to the Pakistani people. Pakistan, a key South Asian country, has made important ...
Brazil international winger Osvaldo is reportedly a summer transfer target of Ukraine's Shakhtar Donetsk and Metalist Kharkiv. The 26-year-old has been in impressive form for Brazilian club Sao Paulo and has twice been capped by Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari this year, reports XInhua. Sao Paulo have reportedly already received preliminary offers for Osvaldo from both clubs, considered two ...
The Court of Arbitration for Sport has dismissed Athens Olympic champion Koji Murofushi's challenge of an International Olympic Committee's (IOC) disqualification from member election. The Japanese hammer thrower was disqualified from IOC's athletes committee member election after claims he excessively lobbied fellow athletes ahead of voting at the London Olympics, reports Xinhua. The IOC has ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Swiss-Grand Resort & Spa, Bondi Beach, Australia
Perfectly positioned alongside Sydney's World famous Bondi Beach, the Swiss-Grand is a great hotel, packed with uniqueness and extras. At ...Keep reading
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Maryland LeaderMaryland Leader | News on people and events in Maryland
Every minute of every day our news editors canvass the issues, and stories making the news to provide our readers with a broad and in-depth coverage of what's happening in the world. Our first priority is the state. We specialise in Maryland news. From Columbia to Baltimore, we're on the lookout day and night to keep track of issues making the news. We also strive to keep abreast of national news. Breaking stories out of the continental United States usually break first on the Maryland Leader. Neighbouring states and key cities too often feature on our news pages. We also provide a whole lot of other content you'd expect from any newspaper including international sports coverage and local Maryland weather forecasts. We also provide readers with an opportunity to engage in newsmaking by voting on major stories in the news, and following how other readers are viewing the issues. Our news polls are regularly updated, and attract thousands of voters over each week they're conducted. Our business writers too work hard to keep you abreast of what's happening in the markets, not only in the U.S. but across the globe. We work around the clock to post stories from major financial centers like Tokyo, Paris, London, and of course New York, where we have extensive coverage of the major indices, particularly the Dow Jones, Nasdaq, S&P and Russell 2000.
U.S. President Barack Obama says he is focusing on ways to help the American middle class make economic gains, to bring them in line with the economic recovery of big business.
Obama said in his weekly address Saturday that he has been visiting cities across the country that are doing "interesting and creative" things to "re-ignite the engine" of middle class economic growth and make sure American citizens' hard work leads to a decent living.
In Baltimore this week, he said he visited a factory that is creating jobs at home by exporting digging equipment abroad. He also visited participants in a program that is giving training and guidance for low-income people to find work.
Obama said with unemployment the lowest it has been since 2008, with the auto industry thriving and the energy sector booming, it is time to focus on creating more good, middle-class jobs. He said he will be visiting more American cities in the coming weeks to continue working on job creation, education and" building new ladders of opportunity" for American workers.
In the Republican Party address, Representative Andy Harris of the eastern state of Maryland says "red tape" in the president's health care law passed several years ago will drive up costs for Americans.
- Search for survivors winds down in Oklahoma
- Hammel aims for sharper stuff against Yanks
- Angels Trout 21 youngest to hit for cycle since Ott in 1929
- Jacoby Jones falls short on Dancing with the Stars finale
- Orioles to call up Kevin Gausman to start Thursday in Toronto source says
- Pentagon demands $450 mln for Guantanamo Bay prison maintenance
- Kerry Washington uses fashion as creative outlet
- White House plotted with Treasury on how to reveal IRS misdeeds
- The Pentagon Admits The “War On Terror” Will Never End
- Pentagon faces another sex scandal
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- U.S. dollar slips against euro after Fed official remarks
- Oliver tops 110m hurdles at World Challenge Beijing
- FBI asked to track hate crimes against Sikhs
- Goldman pushes hedge funds for your 401
- U.S. stocks Looking to Bernanke
- Stocks Looking to Bernanke
- NewsWatch U.S. stocks rise after Fed officials’ QE signal
- Dow Jones industrial average posts 22nd high of the year
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Murofushi loses appeal in IOC member election
- ESPN layoffs 7000 workers as TV rights fees rise
- Microsoft launches all-in-one home entertainment system Xbox One
- GIF inventor Steve Wilhite says it should be pronounced jif
- Marketing local understanding mix well for US liquor
- TV ratings ABC tops demo American Idol finale tanks
- Dallas Stars to unveil new uniform logo in rebranding effort
- Former head of J2 Marketing Solutions scheduled to enter plea on wire fraud charge
- IAB unveils guidelines for social media marketing
- One trillion euro tax evasion to be tackled says Barroso
- Overall economy likely to pick up in Q2 says German central bank
- Pfizer discontinues NHL cancer drug development
- GrubHub and Seamless to merge
- Housing market picking up in UK
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Maryland Leader headlines delivered to your inbox.
- One shot after Edgemere fight
- Man hospitalized after stabbing
- Isiah Leggett talks Montgomery County nightlife woes
- W.Va.s local-food movement a model for Appalachia
- Best Ice Cream Trail opens