Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
The Court of Arbitration for Sport has dismissed Athens Olympic champion Koji Murofushi's challenge of an International Olympic Committee's (IOC) disqualification from member election. The Japanese hammer thrower was disqualified from IOC's athletes committee member election after claims he excessively lobbied fellow athletes ahead of voting at the London Olympics, reports Xinhua. The IOC has ...
Sports media giant ESPN has given pink slips to nearly 7,000 employees on Tuesday, the network said in a statement. The Bristol, Connecticut-based company said it was looking at the financial bottom line. In a statement the company said that they were implementing changes across the company to enhance their continued growth while smartly managing costs. It added that while difficult, they ...
Microsoft has unveiled its latest video gaming console 'Xbox One' which is believed to transform games, TV and entertainment for the 21st century living room. The latest console reportedly promises a vision of the future. According to a report by the Mirror, 'Xbox One' will allow users to turn on the device with words like "Xbox On", and "snap" will allow users to watch two things at ...
Cannes-Fashion Photos Robert Redford Suits Up and Sports Illustrated Model Irina Shayk Bares Skin on the Croisette
Even though they did not have premiere tickets, the same pesky rain clouds that reigned over the Cannes Film Festival's first weekend stormed back into the coastal town on Wednesday. And while they succeeded in showering the red carpet, they could not dampen the day's glamour. Robert Redford, Jessica Chastain, a gaggle of designer-clad models, and even Roman Polanski still swept down ...
86.1°F Scattered Clouds
Winds: From the SE at 8.0 MPH Gusting to 11.0 MPH
War, Inc. is a self-described political cartoon that is either too cartoonish, or not cartoonish enough. Satire is a tricky feat, especially when aimed at something as distinctly in the moment as the occupation and attempted democratization / corporatization of a Middle Eastern country. ... ...
Photo credit: Giants' head coach Tom Coughlin ranked No. 8 with an annual salary of $6.67 million. (Getty) The NFL dominated Forbes' list of the highest-paid coaches in American sports in a report released Wednesday. Eight of the top 10 call the shots of football teams, including Giants coach Tom Coughlin at No. 8. The other two on the list are from the NBA. Here's the full top ...
Now that the weather's finally turned in time for the holiday weekend, drop by Everything But Water's first New York shop for a selection of specialty swimwear; a Basta Surf strappy bandeau top ($106) and reversible hipster bottoms ($99) look well suited for that first StndAIR trip. Or Scoop Beach, Scoop NYC's one-stop pop-up for beach-ready essentials, like a Theodora & ...
In a world where Dave Navarro hosts the competition reality show ';Ink Master'; and every mall has its own tattoo parlor, where does a true believer in tattoo culture go for inspiration? For Scott Campbell, the answer was Mexican prisons. ';I was looking for a way to fall in love with tattooing again,'; said Campbell, the Southern-born, Brooklyn-based founder ...
A baby's life has been saved by using a device to help him breathe created by a 3D printer. The operation, carried out in the US, follows the development of a controversial 3D-printed gun openly available ...
Reading through Forbes’ list of the 71 most powerful people in the world this afternoon, I was struck by something interesting. For all that we talk about the influence of culture on both society and individuals, there only two people involved in the production or distribution of culture or the arts on the list. There are a lot of figures from tech companies, many of which are made more ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Venetian Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas
In the middle of the Strip, and opposite the Mirage and Treasure Island is the Venetian, adjacent to its sister ...Keep reading
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Maryland LeaderMaryland Leader | News on people and events in Maryland
Every minute of every day our news editors canvass the issues, and stories making the news to provide our readers with a broad and in-depth coverage of what's happening in the world. Our first priority is the state. We specialise in Maryland news. From Columbia to Baltimore, we're on the lookout day and night to keep track of issues making the news. We also strive to keep abreast of national news. Breaking stories out of the continental United States usually break first on the Maryland Leader. Neighbouring states and key cities too often feature on our news pages. We also provide a whole lot of other content you'd expect from any newspaper including international sports coverage and local Maryland weather forecasts. We also provide readers with an opportunity to engage in newsmaking by voting on major stories in the news, and following how other readers are viewing the issues. Our news polls are regularly updated, and attract thousands of voters over each week they're conducted. Our business writers too work hard to keep you abreast of what's happening in the markets, not only in the U.S. but across the globe. We work around the clock to post stories from major financial centers like Tokyo, Paris, London, and of course New York, where we have extensive coverage of the major indices, particularly the Dow Jones, Nasdaq, S&P and Russell 2000.
U.S. President Barack Obama says he is focusing on ways to help the American middle class make economic gains, to bring them in line with the economic recovery of big business.
Obama said in his weekly address Saturday that he has been visiting cities across the country that are doing "interesting and creative" things to "re-ignite the engine" of middle class economic growth and make sure American citizens' hard work leads to a decent living.
In Baltimore this week, he said he visited a factory that is creating jobs at home by exporting digging equipment abroad. He also visited participants in a program that is giving training and guidance for low-income people to find work.
Obama said with unemployment the lowest it has been since 2008, with the auto industry thriving and the energy sector booming, it is time to focus on creating more good, middle-class jobs. He said he will be visiting more American cities in the coming weeks to continue working on job creation, education and" building new ladders of opportunity" for American workers.
In the Republican Party address, Representative Andy Harris of the eastern state of Maryland says "red tape" in the president's health care law passed several years ago will drive up costs for Americans.
- Baltimores bid to wipe out blight
- Rocky Gap states fourth casino opens in Western Maryland
- Strong storms possible west of I-95 late Wednesday
- Public hearing on city water rates approved
- National Aquarium expands role in conservation
- Pentagon demands $450 mln for Guantanamo Bay prison maintenance
- Kerry Washington uses fashion as creative outlet
- Pentagon New record plan wont help vet backlog
- White House admits four US citizens were killed by drone strikes
- Vendor Someone Has Tampered With DC Ambulances
- Bernanke comments hit US stocks Australian dollar
- Dominos Pizza to Join SP MidCap 400 Cynosure to Join SP SmallCap 600
- US stocks fall as market eyes possible Fed retreat
- US Stocks Wall Street extends losses SP down 1
- US STOCKS-Wall St falters in volatile session on Fed worries
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Murofushi loses appeal in IOC member election
- ESPN layoffs 7000 workers as TV rights fees rise
- Microsoft launches all-in-one home entertainment system Xbox One
- Cannes-Fashion Photos Robert Redford Suits Up and Sports Illustrated Model Irina Shayk Bares Skin on the Croisette
- Workshop in Guwahati accelerates outreach of bamboo products
- 6 travel agents rewarded for tour promotions in Haitang Bay Sanya
- A Restaurateurs Guide to Successful Digital Marketing.
- Take that Canada Immigration reform may be on its way
- BNP Paribas Aces Twitter Campaign
- Need more positive signs before scaling back stimulus, says Bernanke
- April sees Japan trade deficit jump to 879.9bn yen
- Breakthrough research shows Vit C kills drug resistant TB
- UK urged by IMF to bring forward high value spending
- US delegation to urge labour reforms in Bangladesh
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Maryland Leader headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Mitchell Gallery Premiere Opening at St. John’s College Campus in Annapolis
- Baltimore County Police Arrest Charge Man In Edgemere Shooting
- Celebrate Baltimore Museum Week
- Hundreds Of PGCo. Students Take Advantage Of Early College Program
- Lunch Tours Offer Different Way To See Carroll