NEW YORK - Yahoo promised "not to screw it up" as it formally announced its acquisition of the popular Tumblr blogging platform for $1.1bn in cash, giving the company a much-needed base in social media to reach a younger generation of users. The relaxed wording of the memo for one of the internet giant's biggest acquisitions was echoed in the memo sent by David Karp, Tumblr's 26-year-old ...
Australian Test batsman David Warner is expected to plead guilty during Cricket Australia hearing over his recent Twitter rant with two prominent journalists. Senior Code of Behaviour Commissioner, Justice Gordon Lewis, will hear the case via teleconference. According to news.com.au, Warner faces sanction ranging from a fine, suspension, reprimand or counseling after being reported under CA's ...
Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin took to Facebook over the weekend to express her skepticism of global warming. Palin argued that global warming was not happening, pointing that it was snowing in Alaska in May. According to the Huffington Post, she wrote in a post on her Facebook page 'global warming my gluteus maximus'. In her Facebook argument, Palin confuses weather with climate, a ...
The 2013 Yellow Social Media Report has analyzed that a growing number of Australians are using social network at an addictive rate wherever they can, even in toilet cubicles! According to the study, three out of every five internet users are accessing these sites more than five times a day, making it a total of seven hours a day. In a report by News.com, the study found that the time spent by ...
WASHINGTON -- A non-profit technology company based in Kenya has created a wireless internet router that it says will help people living in places where electricity is spotty and internet service is unreliable. Founded in early 2008, Ushahidi is known primarily for its open-source software applications, but is now launching its first piece of hardware, called the BRCK. One of the BRCK's ...
82.8°F Scattered Clouds
Winds: From the ESE at 2.0 MPH Gusting to 6.0 MPH
That Obscure Object of Desire (Cet obscur objet du désir) [DVD]
There are times when major dilemmas during the production of a film result in some inspired artistic decisions. For instance, Brian De Palma's brilliant reimagining of Sergei Eisenstein's Odessa Steps sequence in The Untouchables (1987) was improvised on-set when De Palma decided he didn't like the scene as scripted by David Mamet. Another of the most famous "happy accidents" is the ending ... ...
The influential economist Albert O. Hirschman argues that customers can have a disciplining effect on companies and markets through their exit and voice behaviors. Instead of simply "quitting" a product, Hirschman urged customers to voice their complaints so companies could improve and learn. Hirschman would be a happy camper these days because social media puts a megaphone on the ...
Detectives on the hunt for two fugitive gangsters earlier this month turned to Facebook for clues. That's where they say they hit the jackpot: Photos of Mario Daniel McDonald and Joseph Wayne Edwards each holding a shotgun. McDonald, 23, and Edwards, 27, are prohibited from possessing firearms because they are convicted felons, the Marion County Sheriff's Office said in a statement ...
The Texas Emerging Technology Fund is expected to be allocated $50 million for the next biennium. The Texas Emerging Technology Fund is expected to be replenished with $50 million for the next two years, based on a new budget deal, the Austin American Statesman reports. Although this falls below Gov. Rick Perrys request of $69.5 million for the ETF for the next two years, the amount is still a ...
Pinterest has received its first significant update with how pinned images appear on the website. Called "Rich Pins", these images that are pinned contain a host of more information right from the originating image site, such as product purchase information or ingredient listings for recipes. Pinterest ...
Newsle co-founders Jonah Varon, left, and Axel Hansen, right, dropped out of Harvard to launch their news discovery startup in the Bay Area. Shown with them is full-stack engineer Chris Pol. Axel Hansen and Jonah Varon are building a startup based on who you know and who you want to know more about. The 22-year-olds landed $1.65 million in funding for Newsle this week from Advance Publications, ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
The taxi drove through the center of the building to an arrival station for the Crowne Plaza which is a ...Keep reading
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Maryland LeaderMaryland Leader | News on people and events in Maryland
Every minute of every day our news editors canvass the issues, and stories making the news to provide our readers with a broad and in-depth coverage of what's happening in the world. Our first priority is the state. We specialise in Maryland news. From Columbia to Baltimore, we're on the lookout day and night to keep track of issues making the news. We also strive to keep abreast of national news. Breaking stories out of the continental United States usually break first on the Maryland Leader. Neighbouring states and key cities too often feature on our news pages. We also provide a whole lot of other content you'd expect from any newspaper including international sports coverage and local Maryland weather forecasts. We also provide readers with an opportunity to engage in newsmaking by voting on major stories in the news, and following how other readers are viewing the issues. Our news polls are regularly updated, and attract thousands of voters over each week they're conducted. Our business writers too work hard to keep you abreast of what's happening in the markets, not only in the U.S. but across the globe. We work around the clock to post stories from major financial centers like Tokyo, Paris, London, and of course New York, where we have extensive coverage of the major indices, particularly the Dow Jones, Nasdaq, S&P and Russell 2000.
U.S. President Barack Obama says he is focusing on ways to help the American middle class make economic gains, to bring them in line with the economic recovery of big business.
Obama said in his weekly address Saturday that he has been visiting cities across the country that are doing "interesting and creative" things to "re-ignite the engine" of middle class economic growth and make sure American citizens' hard work leads to a decent living.
In Baltimore this week, he said he visited a factory that is creating jobs at home by exporting digging equipment abroad. He also visited participants in a program that is giving training and guidance for low-income people to find work.
Obama said with unemployment the lowest it has been since 2008, with the auto industry thriving and the energy sector booming, it is time to focus on creating more good, middle-class jobs. He said he will be visiting more American cities in the coming weeks to continue working on job creation, education and" building new ladders of opportunity" for American workers.
In the Republican Party address, Representative Andy Harris of the eastern state of Maryland says "red tape" in the president's health care law passed several years ago will drive up costs for Americans.
- Parkville resident finds mail in storm drain
- Baltimore Police Search For Suspect Who Killed Mayor’s Cousin
- Jim Duquette Talks Orioles Losing Streak.
- Baltimore City Police Investigating Liberty Heights Shooting
- Man runs out of gas sets up drum kit on Interstate 695
- Blind Chinese dissident Guangcheng asks US to protect relatives in China
- Obama admin to hand over some CIA drone operations to Pentagon
- Burmese Presidents White House Visit a Reward for Reforms
- President Obama To Visit Senegal South Africa Tanzania
- White House IRS timeline shifts again
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- Moscow safer than New York Russian minister
- Shocking lawsuit claims NY high schools admissions policy racially biased
- US charges three NYU researchers for taking bribes from Chinese company
- Apples Tim Cook is Wall Street hero for a day
- Stocks touch new highs ahead of Bernanke
- U.S. stocks ease from record highs Yahoo buys Tumblr for $1.1b
- The market doesnt lie Housing recovery is for real
- Stocks Investors shift focus to Bernanke
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Sports Wario warns federation officials against politics
- Sports Vivian to miss Moscow championships
- Sports Under-19 squad to compete in ICC Africa qualifiers
- Lacey declares fitness for Tyrone clash
- Data-Driven Marketing Is Ready to Rev Into High Gear
- UPDATE 2-PayPal to increase marketing this year for offline push
- Kane Is Able Hires Griffith as SVP of Business Development Marketing
- Netizens question young officials rocket promotion
- Wayin replaces CEO names Wood to job and board
- Housing market picking up in UK
- One trillion euro tax evasion to be tackled says Barroso
- Pfizer discontinues NHL cancer drug development
- Overall economy likely to pick up in Q2 says German central bank
- Yahoo buys blogging platform Tumblr for $1.1 bn cash
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Maryland Leader headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Library honors Carole King with US pop music prize
- Boy 11 Among Rescuers Honored At Md. Emergency Medical Services Awards
- Oklahoma City Thunder Kevin Durant Pledge $1 Million For Tornado Relief
- Danny Knobler Breaks Down Orioles Struggles.
- WJZ Exclusive Suspects Try To Flee With Stolen Habitat For Humanity Generator